- dB Technologies
- Dj Equipment
- DJ Equipment Reviews
- DJ News
- DJ Stuff
- DJ Tips
- EV (Electro Voice)
- Portable Column Array Sound System
- Sound Systems
Which Portable Column Line Array Sound System is Right for you?
At The International DJ Cafe meet ups there are all kinds of helpful product demonstrations and recently there was a great presentation on the most popular portable speaker array systems. When investing in sound systems, quality over quantity is definitely the way to go. Check out these portable array systems, compare the quality in different competitor price points, and then choose which system fits your budget & needs.
RCF EVOX JMIX8 Active 2-Way Array Music System – (approx 1399.00 –RCF EVOX JMIX8 + Cover w/ Wheels) –1400 Watt 2-way power, 28 IN Digital Mixer with multiple FX, Amp Simulator and Remote Control, 12″ woofer high power 2.5″ voice coil, 8 x 2″ ultra compact fullrange 1.0″ voice coil, & 8 dB Max SPL. Taking the EVOX J Series one step further, RCF has added an 8-input Digital Mixer to the system. The onboard processing power of the innovative Z.CORE DSP provides not only full mix functions; it includes high-quality instrument FX and AMP simulations. An EVOX iOS/Android-compatible app allows to manage the JMIX8. Adding Bluetooth audio and Hi-Z instrument input, the EVOX JMIX8 combines the quality and reliability of RCF transducers and amplification with a powerful remote controllable 8-channel digital mixer.
Turbosound iNSPIRE iP2000 V2 – (approx $998.00) 1,000W Powered Modular Column Loudspeaker with 12″ Subwoofer, 16 x 2.75″ MF Drivers, 1 x 1″ HF Compression Driver, Klark Teknik Spatial Sound Technology, Digital Mixer, Bluetooth Audio Streaming, and iPhone/iPad Remote Control.
Peavey LN™1263 Column Array – (approx $1,299.99) Compact, powerful, lightweight and low profile portable column-array utilizing 1200 watts of potential maximum power. The unit contains 12 2.75″ custom drivers for the mid-high column and a custom 12″ driver for the subwoofer. Completely self contained, the unit has no visible cables in mono operation.
EV EVOLVE 50 Portable Column System – (approx $1699.00) The Electro-Voice EVOLVE 50 packs light weight, a low profile design, and top-shelf sound into a portable PA system. This three-component speaker system pumps 1,000 watts of Class D power through eight column-arrayed 3.5″ neodymium drivers coupled with a brawny 12″ subwoofer. The column and sub are connected via a sturdy bi-directional aluminum pole. The EVOLVE 50 provides excellent coverage, ensuring that everyone in your audience experiences great sound. Setup is easy, thanks to powerful digital processing that’s controlled by a streamlined single-knob interface. And an onboard three-channel mixer accommodates microphones, instruments, and more. Wireless control and streaming via Bluetooth rounds out the EVOLVE 50’s robust feature set.
dB Technologies ES-802 – (approx $849.00) ES802 is a portable biamped sound system composed by two passive tops and one 12” subwoofer. The sub hosts a 1200W peak power amp module with auto-range PSU. A powerful DSP manages the coverage and all the other functions of the system, making the ES802 a real gem in terms of sound performance and versatility.
Below DJ Neeeknyce breaks down 10 easy questions with helpful info to assist DJs with deciding which system to purchase.
1. Do you want a speaker with Bluetooth? If yes, look into Turbo Sound, Peavey, EV Evolve or RCF JMix 8
2. Are you worried about price? Turbo sound is the cheapest with Bluetooth and DB Technology & RCF Evox are the most expensive
3. Do you need more than 4 line inputs on your portable array mixing board? Look into Peavey or RCF JMix8 (8 channel mixer). If not, go with Turbo sound or EV Evolve
4. Would you rather NOT buy an array with a mixing board because you have your own. Check out RCF J8, DB Technologies or RCF Evox.
5. Do you want more low end sound with great highs? Check out RCF Evox or DB technology
6. Do you want an affordable portable array system with adjustable highs? Check out Peavey, RCF JMix8/J8
7. Do you want the luxury to separate your high ends from the sub? Go with Peavey or DB Technology
8. Do you want adjustable height on your high ends? Go with Peavey, RCF Evox, JMix8/J8, or DB Technology
9. Do you want a speaker with all in one connection & less wires? Check out Turbo Sound, EV Evolve, or Peavey
10. Do you want the option to purchase one portable array with a mixing board & one without? RCFs J8 & Jmix8, one of the only systems that offers this preference.